East Berlin

East Berlin was the de facto capital city of the German Democratic Republic from 1949 to 1990. Formally, it was the Soviet sector of Berlin, established in 1945. The American, British, and French sectors were known as West Berlin. From 13 August 1961 until 9 November 1989, East Berlin was separated from West Berlin by the Berlin Wall. The Western Allied powers did not recognize East Berlin as the GDR's capital, nor the GDR's authority to govern East Berlin. On 3 October 1990, the day Germany was officially reunified, East and West Berlin formally reunited as the city of Berlin.

East Berlin
Ost-Berlin
Восточный Берлин
Berlin (Ost)
1949–1990
Flag
Coat of arms
East Berlin is shown in red.
Governing Mayor 
 1948–1967
Friedrich Ebert Jr. (SED)
 1967–1974
Herbert Fechner (SED)
 1974–1990
Erhard Krack (SED)
 1990
Ingrid Pankraz (PDS)
 1990
Christian Hartenhauer (PDS)
 1990–1991
Tino Schwierzina (SDP)
 1991
Thomas Krüger (SDP)
Historical eraCold War
 Establishment of East Germany
7 October 1949
3 October 1990
Preceded by
Succeeded by
Allied-occupied Germany
Germany
Berlin

Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article East Berlin, and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.