The Berlin Cathedral (German: Berliner Dom), also known as, the Evangelical Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church, is a monumental German Evangelical church and dynastic tomb (House of Hohenzollern) on the Museum Island in central Berlin. Having its origins as a castle chapel for the Berlin Palace, several structures have served to house the church since the 1400s. The present collegiate church was built from 1894 to 1905 by order of German Emperor William II according to plans by Julius Raschdorff in Renaissance and Baroque Revival styles. The listed building is the largest Protestant church in Germany and one of the most important dynastic tombs in Europe. In addition to church services, the cathedral is used for state ceremonies, concerts and other events.
|Province||Union of Evangelical Churches|
|Year consecrated||1454, as the Roman Catholic St. Erasmus Chapel|
|Location||Cölln, a historical neighbourhood of Berlin, Germany|
|Construction cost||11.5 million marks (1905)|
|Direction of façade||west|
|Length||114 metres (374 ft), shorter since the demolition of the northern memorial hall in 1975|
|Width||74 metres (243 ft)|
|Dome height (outer)||115 metres (377 ft) (until destruction 1944)|
|Materials||originally brick, since 1905, Silesian sandstone|
Since the demolition of the Memorial Church (Denkmalskirche) section on the north side by the East German authorities in 1975, the Berlin Cathedral has consisted of the large Sermon Church (Predigtkirche) in the center, and the smaller Baptismal and Matrimonial Church (Tauf- und Traukirche) on the south side and the Hohenzollern crypt (Hohenzollerngruft), which covers almost the entire basement. Damaged during the Allied bombing in World War II, the cathedral’s original interior was restored by 2002. Currently there is discussion about restoring the historical exterior as well.