Abbey Road Studios
Abbey Road Studios (formerly EMI Recording Studios) is a recording studio at 3 Abbey Road, St John's Wood, City of Westminster, London, England. It was established in November 1931 by the Gramophone Company, a predecessor of British music company EMI, which owned it until Universal Music took control of part of EMI in 2013.
|Formerly||EMI Recording Studios|
|Headquarters||St John's Wood, City of Westminster, London, England|
|Parent||Universal Music Group|
|Abbey Road Studios|
|Official name||Abbey Road Studios|
|Designated||23 February 2010|
|Official name||Zebra crossing near Abbey Road Studios|
|Designated||21 December 2010|
The studio's most notable client was the Beatles, who used the studio – particularly its Studio Two room – as the venue for many of the innovative recording techniques that they adopted throughout the 1960s. In 1976, the studio was renamed from EMI to Abbey Road, in honour of the group's 1969 album.
In 2009, Abbey Road came under threat of sale to property developers. In response, the British Government protected the site, granting it English Heritage Grade II listed status in 2010, thereby preserving the building from any major alterations.